Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Thursday 30 April 2009

Been a bit under the weather as of late.

Yes, as my good friend Mister Title just mentioned, I have been feeling a bit unwell recently. I did what everyone with the sniffles is doing recently and wondered if it was swine flu (admit it, fellow paranoid snifflers), albeit only briefly. I then decided that swine flu was a somewhat far-fetched self-diagnosis.
At this point, like some unearthly master of bad timing, my dear ol' daddy sauntered in and casually, and rather suddenly, announced that in order for swine flu to take out as many Mexicans as some sources would have you believe, it would have had to start months and months ago. He then, like some oblivious harbinger of terror, reminded me that his mate came back from Mexico a couple of months back and is a bit under the weather. After this frankly terrifying announcement, father dear proceeded to blow his nose.
...I mean, I ask you, what were his intentions, with me standing there, off school with a the flu, him effectively declaring that this reportedly 'deadly' disease was already here, plotting its first kills in Britain?

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating my reaction. I, like most sane people, consider swine flu to be a trumped-up pile of media-excreted hyperbole. But I was still a bit fazed by my dad's 'innocent' remark. Perhaps the Mexicans are not as hardy as the British, and through a rich blend of poor health care and malnourishment are more vulnerable to illness.

After all, people in Mexico die of flu all the time. We can draw two possible conclusions from this fact: the first being that we Brits rarely, if ever, die from the flu as we have flu jabs, and our self-made protection from normal flu could protect us from this new strain, and the second conclusion referring to the fact that it turns out that Mexicans can't tell normal flu from swine flu. If they can't tell what's wrong with them, how can Mexico come up with all these death tolls? They can't, that's how, and as a result, swine flu has actually clocked up a phenomenal seven confirmed deaths. Derisive snigger.

But anyway, I digress. Because of my terrible case of the sniffles and IMMINENT DEATH, I was unable to continue work on 'The Flood', so sorry about that. I really wanted to, as well. I'm getting really, really impatient with my immune system and my school for diverting me from the one project I am passionate about. In fact, I shouldn't even be on the computer right now. My head hurts and the glare of the computer screen could easily trigger a migraine (hardly anyone appreciates how awful migraines are, so to sympathise with my plight, look up 'migraine' on Wikipedia, you callous bastards). Because of this, I'll end this post now. I just felt that I needed to let you lot know what's going down in Willsville, especially my schoolmates, who were probably wondering where I was today.

Well, wonder no more!

---TRANSMISSION-TERMINATED-AT-20:42-GMT---

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!