Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Wednesday 17 February 2010

Wednesday already.

I can't believe it's Wednesday already. Christ, this half-term break has flown by. And up to now, I have totally wasted it.
But at the same time, I can't find the motivation to do anything, nor can I see myself getting up off my arse to do anything for the remainder of the holiday. And that realisation knocks the wind out of a person. I can see myself wasting the rest of the holiday. I can clearly picture myself doing all my homework at the very last minute and getting incredibly stressed out in the process. I've still got loads of time to get everything done, but I know I won't do it. It's like being able to see a train wreck before it happens, but not being able to do anything.
And surely that is maddening.
I bet someone claimed to predict the Belgium train collision. There are always a handful of crackpots who claim to be able to see the future. They never do anything about it, though, do they? They seem to sit back, full of knowledge, and when a train crashes, or a plane slams into a building, they just say 'I knew that was going to happen.'
Call me cynical, but I just don't believe all that psychic nonsense. And that's coming from someone whose mother claimed to have psychic powers at one point.
By 'at one point', I mean 'she had powers at one point', and not 'she claimed this at one point'. She still tells me of how she knew about the Lockerbie bombing before it happened. Well, she remembers watching it on the news, and thinking 'I've seen this before...' and getting frightened by the whole thing.
Personally, I don't think she predicted anything. Before witnessing the news report, I don't think she would have been able to predict anything. Just because she felt like she knew it all along doesn't mean that she did. The brain can make you think anything - it seems reasonable that it can make you 'remember the past' when the memories have just been made up. I have often woken up from a dream to believe what I've dreamt, simply because I have past memories of the same thing which intertwine with my history in real life. The brain can mess with you in ways you cannot imagine. Because imagination is all part of the brain, as well. Your brain has complete power over your thoughts, and can become your worst enemy if you don't treat it right.
So don't do drugs.

How the f**k did I get onto that topic?

Anyway. I'm done. Goodbye.

1 comment:

Will Wivell said...

This was my 100th post! I never even acknowledged that milestone!

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!