Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Thursday 4 February 2010

What scandalous jests we fellows play

I was being rather childish and writing on the school bus window today. There is a chap on the bus (who I will call Franklin for anonymity) with whom I often have good-natured but intense ridiculing sessions.
Today, I wrote on the window:
YES!
Franklin is
a fool!
I put the 'YES!' in just to make my window insult extra noticeable. There were explosion lines coming off the 'YES!' and everything.
From where he was sitting, Franklin could only reach the word 'fool' and so rubbed it out. I then added this:
YES!
Franklin is 
                             a   PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY
It all turned into 'find the fault with the back-handed compliment'. Franklin noted that it looked as though I was replying to someone, as if they had said that he wasn't a productive member of society. So I rubbed of the 'YES!'

The best thing was the fact that he was still paranoid. The window now read
Franklin is 
                             a   PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY
but he wanted me to rub it out more than before I edited it for him.

Oh, how wide and interesting this psychological battlefield is.

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!