Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Sunday 24 January 2010

A good ol' fashioned movie review. Jus' like mama used to make

I went to see Avatar in 3D on Saturday. It was good.
And yes, that is an understatement. To make any attempt to successfully put into words the awesomeness of that film would be ultimately futile, so I'm simply not bothering.
Impressed? Yes, now you mention it. I was, rather, yes. Not disappointing at all. No, sirree.

Not only was the three-dimensionality of it all just magnificent, the CGI itself was beyond belief and the story, despite mild slatings from obsessive critics, really wasn't bad at all. I tended to get carried away with watching how things in the foreground really seemed nearer than things in the background to really scrutinise the effects and the story (at one point, I took off the glasses just so that I wasn't being distracted by the 3D - the CGI suddenly struck me as stupendously brilliant), but I suppose that's more my fault than the movie's.
The ideas and the imagination of the film is on a scale few films can ever hope to match. I particularly liked how every species of creature on Pandora was compatible with each other. They all had these neural tentacle things that could connect with those of another, regardless of species, so that they could 'merge' minds. They were essentially inter-species organic USB plugs, and it's a brilliant idea.
Oh, and there are some amazing scenes with some mechas (massive robot suits that the pilot controls from a cockpit - think The Matrix trilogy, or Aliens), which were brilliant enough without appreciating the link between them and Sigourney Weaver. Which I did. Why? Because I'm passionate about movies.

Really, just see Avatar if you haven't already. Where - and when - else are you going to get to see it in 3D? Those polarised glasses only work with the special projection system at the cinema - you can't get a 3D DVD, unless you want to suffer the indignity of using the dated blue-and-red headache-tastic technique of the Neanderthals (there's an inadvertent and hilarious image - a Neanderthal with old 3D specs).

I'll leave you with that thought.

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!