Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Monday 7 June 2010

Prepare to go 'hmm' in an interested way.

I can't sleep, and by fighting it I usually prolong the insomnia because my brain starts working even faster than usual, almost mockingly so, pursuing the sadistic goal of making sure that I can never shut down. As a result, I'm simply going to wait casually for the drowsiness to kick in. This very blog post is my way of wearing out my hyperactive lump of grey matter. The very eloquence of this blog post is an indicator of the sheer fury with which my brain is churning away, thrashing against the walls of my skull, screaming for stimuli.

I think a fact chain is in order.
Yes. I'm calling them fact chains now.
There have been 24 expeditions to the International Space Station (including the current one).
An idea for a form of escape craft, or 'lifeboat', for the International Space Station, the Crew Return Vehicle, was scrapped when it was decided that the station should just have some emergency docked Soyuz spacecraft.
The Soyuz spacecraft was originally designed in the 60s by the Soviet Union, to help in the race to beat the United States to the moon in a manned expedition.
The word 'Moon' comes from the Latin mensis, meaning 'month'.
The idea of months as units of time was devised by the ancient Egyptians.
The ancient Egyptians prized the blue stone lapis lazuli, and had it imported from Afghanistan.
Afghanistan culture is heavily influenced by Persian poetry.
One of the most famous pieces of persian literature, the epic poem Shahnameh, was written by a chap called Ferdowsi.
Ferdowsi was born in Iran, in a small village of Paj, in the year 940.
The High King of Ireland Brian Boru was born in around 940.
Ireland is the third largest island in Europe.
The word 'Europe' may have originated from two Semitic words: the Akkadian erebu meaning 'to set', or the Phoenican ereb, meaning 'evening' or 'west', as the Sun sets in the west.
An average solar day on earth is approximately 24 hours.
After the Brian Boru bit, by the way, I fell asleep (hurrah!) and so the rest was done a day later, as was this bit of text that I'm writing now. It feels weird for me to refer to writing this text in the past tense, as it is in the present as I'm typing, but it will be in the past when you read it, so I'm referring to the present as the past to correspond with the inevitable future. Phew. Right. Get it? Got it? Doubt it.

Bye bye now!

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!