Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Great Minds Think Alike

I was watching 'You Have Been Watching' on Channel 4 earlier, with the brilliant Charlie Brooker (please note that the italics I employed just then were for emphasis rather than sarcasm, believe it or not - I genuinely think that Mr Brooker is nothing short of a comedy genius), when my jaw almost dropped in happy surprise.
They were slagging off Deal or No Deal. Almost exactly as I had done a short while ago. Right down to the comparison I made between Noel Edmonds and a lion. Remarkable.
I was tempted to stick to an outlandish claim that 'they stole my bit!', but I desisted, because they did a much better job at it than I did. Besides, it was only a matter of time until the merciless critical eye of Charlton Brooker cast its gaze over the 'Dream Factory' (shudder). Again.
Well, I say 'again'. Did he take the piss out of DoND on 'Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe' as well? Oh, I don't know. Bah.

...

Sorry, I lost my place.
Right. So Edmonds, with his stupid hair, stratospheric trousers and shirts that look like they could pick up freeview with a few nob adjustments (oh, dear God! What am I talking about? Aargh! Abort!) was more than likely to appear on this television programme.

Oh, and Frankie Boyle, whose facial hair I noticed gradually increasing in length every episode of the new series of 'Mock the Week', was on 'YHBW' (that's an abbreviation for 'You Have Been Watching' - although the added bracketed explanation means that it would have been easier to have just typed 'You Have Been Watching' in the first place) and has a full-blown beard now. As it's quite a ginger beard, I'm not sure what to make of it. There's only so much Scottish a man can take.

Nevertheless, I have grown a little beard of my own. Nothing as extravagant as Mr Boyle, oh no, but just a little goatee. It's barely visible, to be honest. It's only just past the 'very long stubble' stage, and I don't intend to grow it much longer. As I said on Facebook (and am saying again on Facebook, I suppose), I just want something to stroke during moments of deep contemplation. I usually like to stroke a cat, but they are damned temperamental beings and have the rather annoying habit of going out when I need them. Furthermore, a goatee can be taken anywhere without it complaining or hissing or needing to be put in a special carrier, and be put to good use whenever and wherever a moment of deep thought hits me.

I am actually surprised at how long this blog post has become. I only really wanted to talk about 'Deal or No Deal' on 'You Have Been Watching', and briefly mention Frankie Boyle from 'Mock the Week' (what is this, an article for the bloody TV Times?), but I drifted onto the subject of beards.
Well, I suppose this makes up for the fact that I have been neglecting my blogging duties as of late.

I hope you're happy.
Seriously. I mean that.
No sarcasm here, no sirree bob.
Nope.
Honest to Darwin, I am being sincere when I say that I want you blog-gogglers to be happy. It's just that I tend to sound incredibly sarcastic. But then again, I do get a bizarre amount of pleasure in pretending to be sarcastic whilst simultaneously trying to prove I'm being serious, so all all that 'no sarcasm here' malarkey was a teensy-weensy bit deliberate.
Why? Because I love to screw with your heads. And I mean that in every possible definition of that phrase. Mwah, hah, hah.

Oh, and anyway, thanks for voting on my poll, those of you who voted. I think by the end, the poll received well over five votes overall!
By that, I mean I got six votes.

-Cough-

But you, the six members of the General Public, decided, in a landslide victory of five to one, that I should purchase for myself a bowler hat. So thank you. My dear old mother likes the idea (I'm lucky to have someone like her, I really am), but my cautious old father, who prefers to stick to the norm (or his radio-obsessed, checked-shirt-wearing vision of the norm), isn't particularly fond of the whole bowler hat notion. Hopefully, the results of this poll might make him see the light.

Ta, you six superb people!

ENDING

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!