Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Friday 9 April 2010

A downright pedantic little whinge

Right.
I was perusing Google Maps, gettin' my Street View on, when I noticed something about the KFC sign on Nettleham Road, in Lincoln.

As you can see from this picture, the face of Colonel Sanders is obscured. Now, this seems reasonable - there is clearly a piece of software used by Google to identify faces (and car number plates) and obscure them to retain the anonymity of whoever happened to get snapped by the Street View camera. This software recognised the KFC sign as a face and blurred it. Fine. I totally get that.

But then I took a look from the other side, the north-facing side of the sign. For some reason, the software decided not to blur the good colonel this time.
Taking this, and the similar signs in the background, into account, one can only assume that the software opts not to blur your face if you're a posterised southern colonel who is facing north.

So cover your face in talcum powder, put on a pair of glasses and a fake moustache, face Scotland and say 'cheese'!

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!