Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Friday 30 April 2010

This Is A Poem

I’m going to write a poem
I’m going to make it snappy
It’s going to be a jolly jape
That makes its readers happy.

I always start with short lines
They’re better – it’s been tested,
And an ABCB rhyme scheme
To keep them interested.

And then I make lines longer
And the rhyming becomes stronger
And they hunger for a pause
Of course I’ll punctuate the verse
But first, the verse idea has got to go
For this, dear reader, is harder and deeper
And verses are needed no more.
Furthermore, the lack of a split
Is a handy addition; it helps me to fit
More of it on the page, which is really
Really good.
Especially if you’re going to print it out.
In fact, you could say that I’ve done you a favour
I’ve given you one more spare piece of printer paper
Than I would have done had I continued
With the stanza break
But those are minor logistical technicalities
That don’t really require elaboration
In fact, it doesn’t really have any place
In this poem
But I thought it looked quirky
And professional
To include enjambment
At random
Intervals. And the illusion
Of a train of thought
That this poem resembles
Works better when the text
Isn’t broken up by stanzas
But it could be argued
That I’m just not trying any more
And I’m just typing words
Which poses
The question
At what point does intelligent
Esperimental poetry
Become structureless
Pointless
Drivel?

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!