Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Monday 6 July 2009

SteveWatch #1

Due to my insomnia and increasing awareness of an inner evil, I have decided to dedicate some blog entries to logging the appearances and developing knowledge I have of my alter ego, 'Steve'.

Steve is my repressed dark side. For unknown reasons, my dark side developed a malevolent sentience, and every now and again, he emerges from his mental prison and has some fun, using my body as a vehicle of sorts. Now originally, Steve went by my name, and through the greatest of good fortune only took over my body at moments unlikely to capture the attention of others. As my mind entered a sleep-like state during these invasions, I often returned to my physical form with no recollection of what happened during Steve's 'visits'. As a result, I was oblivious to his existence, and casually assumed my blackouts to be a side-effect of my frequent migraines (to which I am now sure these manifestations are linked, but in a different way - more on that later). My suspicions were ignited when I discovered a crudely-drawn picture, signed William Wivell, in the pictures section of my Facebook profile. I didn't know what to think.

About a day after that, one month ago, 'Steve' manifested during an actual Facebook session. He astonished and frightened numerous online friends with his contributions, such as lewd comments, and even a webcam photo of himself (I was relieved to see that his appearance was identical to mine; the transitions were simply mental, and that was a comfort). All of this being on my profile, I was able to revisit these contributions later. These contributions were the first pieces of useful information I could gather about my very own Mr Hyde.

'Steve' took his name from a friend of mine, a Mister John P. Mahon of Lincoln, who, for reasons known only to himself, worships a god called Steve. In an exclamation of surprise upon encountering my alter ego on Facebook, Mr Mahon made a comment similar to 'Oh, God', but with 'God' replaced by 'Steve'. Assuming that Mr Mahon was addressing him, my alter ego adopted the moniker, and Steve has been his name ever since. Fortunately, his appearances have died down, along with my migraines.

I write this blog entry because I recently stumbled upon a Word document on my computer that shook me to the core. It was in my folder, under the ominous title 'StEVE'. Although I was pretty sure who wrote this, the random switching between capitals and single-case type, a trademark style of Steve, was the factor that convinced me and also terrified me. I was unsure what to make of it, so I opened the document. Would it be a letter to me? A warning?

It was a warning. And I'm scared now. Here it is...

But that's not all. As you can see from the vertical scroll bar to the right of the screen, this document goes on for quite some time...

Twenty-four pages, size 8 type, repeating the same child-like but undeniably evil message: I want to come out now.

This concerns me for a number of reasons, the first being that if Steve tries to escape his mental captivity again, my migraines may resume; you see, I have come to the conclusion that my migraines, which started shortly before the blackouts, are caused through trauma to my brain, caused by Steve trying to break out and take over my body. During his brief but prolific chain of manifestations recently, he had clearly developed a knack for manifesting himself, so less effort was required on his part, and my migraines subsided.
I had hoped that the recent lack of both migraines and Steve meant that I was finally free. But apparently, I was wrong. That Word document was new. Two days old when I found it, yesterday. It seems that, through sheer willpower, I had generated a strong mental barrier stopping Steve from returning. This appears to have annoyed him a bit, and he wants out.

But how long can I hold out to his growing rage?

And how the bloody hell did he manage to type on my computer during this time?

I'll post up more info when I find some. This has been SteveWatch #1.

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!