Quote of the 'Week'

"Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all."
Voltaire
Discovering that someone has commented on one of my blogs is such a joyous feeling. Hint, bloody hint!

Friday 3 July 2009

Well, if Stephen says so...

I was casually browsing the Internet, looking up the chief food of the flamingo (as you do), when I happened upon this mention of Stephen Fry on Wikipedia. Surrounded by solid facts, this 'matter-of-fact' sentence seems to postulate the theory that the powers-that-be (by this I mean the random bloke that decided to contribute to the article) consider the word of Stephen Fry, a notorious intellect, to be itself a perfectly valid argument against a documented fact. How flattering that must be for him.

I decided that in order to preserve the visual impact of said sentence, I would not annotate the following screenprint. By finding it yourselves, the humour and unusualness of it should be as great as it was when I first stumbled across it.

I love the fact that his name is not even linked to the corresponding 'Stephen Fry' Wikipedia article - whoever wrote it appears to think that everybody knows of Stephen Fry.

As a fan of Fry's popular comedy quiz QI, I know that the fact in question was originally questioned on that show. I'm not sure whether that particular factoid arguing against the feeding methods of zoo-keepers was a personal contribution by Stephen himself, or just supplied by the researchers, but if I was Mr Fry, I would be extremely proud, albeit a bit selfish, about taking all the pride for a theory about the artificial colouring of wading birds.

Wivell out.

No comments:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!